JCC Redevelopment Project
Affordable Housing, Childcare and an Intergenerational Community Centre for a Rapidly Growing Vancouver Neighbourhood
ABOUT THE JCC
INCLUSIVE and OPEN TO ALL
While Jewish at heart, the JCC is accessed by a variety of different communities and is one of the leading and most diverse community centres in the area.
The mission of the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver is to provide leadership in cultural, recreational, educational and social activities. It sees 300,000 visits per year (not including performing arts events), and provides amenities and services including swimming, theatre, dance, seniors care, early childhood education, day care, fitness facilities, a café, art gallery, and multi-purpose rooms. It also houses 15 not-for-profit community organizations.
Built in 1961, the facility is desperately in need of replacement. During the pandemic, its importance was highlighted as staff members pivoted to online delivery of services, including making over 550 calls to vulnerable members, helping seniors access technology to keep them connected to community, and providing childcare to essential workers. While it was physically closed from March 18 – June 10, the J provided services to over 8000 people.
THE NEW COMMUNITY CENTRE WILL INCLUDE:
- Expanded Early Childhood Education Centre
- Youth & Teen Centre
- Recreation, Fitness, Sports and Aquatics Facilities
- Seniors Centre
- L’chaim Adult Day Centre for Home Bound Elderly
- 450 seat Theatre
- Cultural and Arts Spaces and studios
- Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre
- Community Organizations offices
The Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver (JCC) property, will be placed into a Jewish community land trust or similar community structure, securing its use for social and community purposes in perpetuity.
- Providing up to 500-600 units of mixed-use rental housing.
- Supporting the BC Governments’ Housing Affordability Goals.
- Building a new 200,000 square foot state-of-the-art recreational, cultural and community hub
- Increasing childcare spaces in the neighbourhood.
- Delivering an expanded senior centre and Day centre to provide a variety of recreational programs, opportunities to socialize with peers, health and wellness programs, and assistance with health care needs and health monitoring.
New community centre, childcare spaces, seniors care.
- Construction $155 million
Completion Date: Late 2024
Up to 500-600 new mixed-use rental housing.
- Construction $272 million
Completion Date 2027/28
JCC REDEVELOPEMENT COSTS
Total budget of $427 Million