JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTRE OF GREATER VANCOUVER
950 WEST 41ST AVENUE
VANCOUVER, BC V5Z 2N7
JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTRE OF GREATER VANCOUVER
Director, BBYO Vancouver at the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver
BBYO’s growing community program in Vancouver is seeking a full-time Regional Director. This professional will build BBYO throughout British Columbia and manage the JCC of Greater Vancouver’s teen outreach and engagement strategies year-round – on the JCC campus, in local schools throughout Vancouver, and at popular venues throughout the area.
The Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver (JCCGV) is a recreational, cultural and social organization serving the community around Oak Street and 41st Avenue. The JCC Teen Department strives to provide an inclusive, fun, safe, stimulating and supportive environment for all teens. We are leaders, mentors, advocates, and positive role models enabling youth to grow, develop a positive sense of self, and a life-long commitment to community.
BBYO is the world’s leading pluralistic, Jewish teen movement and is the Jewish community’s largest and fastest growing platform for reaching and inspiring Jewish teens, built upon 97 years of storied history. We do this challenging and invigorating work through our partners in more than 725 local, teen-led chapters across nearly 60 countries, at hundreds of weekend retreats during the school year and across a rapidly growing suite of global exchanges, campaigns and movement initiatives all year-round. Over the summer, we run dozens of immersive experiences including extensive Israel travel, missions and community tours across six continents, and a myriad of leadership camps.
The Director of BBYO Vancouver at the JCCGV will build experiences that foster engagement and create meaningful connections with and among high school teens across the greater Vancouver community. Leveraging relationships with Jewish and secular community organizations, this professional will build teen-led BBYO chapters throughout the area.
We’re seeking a professional that is a self-starter, energetic, detail-oriented, organized and can work well in a team setting. Strong candidates are charismatic, have strong people skills, tested program experience, able to relate to teens and utilize their abilities to achieve the JCC’s and BBYO’s shared mission of engaging more Jewish teens in more meaningful Jewish experiences. S/he will possess a skill set that includes strong customer service skills, logical thinking, creative and professional writing, and event planning. You should be fearless about reaching out to anyone, a problem solver, skilled at juggling multiple priorities at once, and eager to take calculated programmatic risks that have often never been tested before.
What you’ll get to do as the Director of BBYO Vancouver at the JCCGV:
- Work collaboratively with schools, synagogues, and community partners to plan teen activities and support programming throughout the community that engages youth.
- Seek out and connect with teens throughout Vancouver, especially unaffiliated teens.
- Support Jewish clubs in public, private, Jewish and non-Jewish high schools.
- Establish the JCC Teen Lounge and Website as spaces for frequent teen activity
- Provide youth with information and assist them to access educational, employment, social and recreational opportunities that will engage and empower them.
- Build and support AZA, BBG, and BBYO chapters (supervise meetings, train chapter leaders and advisors, ensure programs are quality, safe, and relevant)
- Work with teens to create impactful, fun and dynamic programs including large scale community projects and three to four overnight conventions each year
- Work directly with teens to strategically expand BBYO’s membership and impact
- Work collaboratively with JCC Children & Youth and JCC Camp Shalom teens.
- Build partnerships and networks in the community
- Prioritize teen mental health by providing support and resources.
- Attend summer camp (this time you’re in charge!) as you facilitate teen leadership programs, attend BBYO’s International Convention, and BBYO Staff Conference
- Develop and manage regional programming and operations budgets
- Empower and inspire teens, volunteers, and advisors through coaching, and training
- Partner with dedicated lay leaders on alumni and parent engagement (including holding a BBYO event with parents once a year) as well as fundraising
What you’ll learn as our Regional Director:
- How to run a small business as you develop skills in budgeting, membership, marketing, sales, human resources and event planning
- How to manage a budget and track and analyze business metrics
- How to work with a global team and across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Relationship building as you network with and travel to other BBYO communities
- Supervisory skills as you manage a team of colleagues, teens, and volunteers
- Professionalism and the ability to inspire and influence others to action
- 2-5 years of work experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Experience with youth or teens is preferred
- Experience leading teams or projects is preferred
- Proven communication skills, both oral and written, and a strong social media comfort
- Event coordination and party-planning skills
- Ability to travel as needed and to staff a summer leadership program at a location in North America for 2-3 weeks each summer, attend International Convention, and BBYO Staff Conference, as well as other opportunities as relevant
- Ability to work non-traditional hours (nights and weekends) when teens are available
- It would be great if you spoke Russian, Hebrew, French or other languages
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is required
Criminal Record Check Requirement
The successful candidate shall be subject to a Criminal Record Check, including a vulnerable sector query, as a condition of employment.
Salary will be commensurate based on experience. This position will be a full-time opportunity based at the JCC of Greater Vancouver that will be renewed annually provided that performance goals are satisfactory and program objectives are met. Position includes JCCGV membership, Jewish communal best-in-class employment benefits, and a range of opportunities to ensure well-being and work-life balance that can be shared in detail. The professional in this role will be valued as a full-time JCCGV and BBYO colleague in every way with generous vacation time and sick time, paid time off on secular and Jewish holidays, as well as excellent opportunities for ongoing professional development. The position will also be built and supported to maintain a flexible work environment to help foster your preferred work-life blend.
Questions? Feel free to be in touch with Shirly Berelowitz firstname.lastname@example.org, JCCGV Director of Children & Youth or Ian Kandel email@example.com, Vice President of Movement Strategy at BBYO International.
Member and Guest Services Associate
Job Reference # 2021MGS10
The Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver is seeking a customer-service oriented person to join their member and guest services team. The successful candidate should possess strong problem solving skills in addition to empathy, patience, listening and flexibility. This role requires someone who is able to remain calm while multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment. Due to the service hours of the department this position requires flexibility for working morning and afternoon shifts. If you have a minimum of two years customer service experience combined with intermediate computer skills and experience with MS Office, G Suite and a CRM we are interested in hearing from you.
At this time we are looking to fill 1 F/T position.
How to apply
Click this link and complete the form, attach a resume and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and salary expectations by August 6, 2021. Enter 2021MGS10 in the Job Reference field.
The successful candidate must clear a vulnerable sector criminal record check. We thank all applicants for their interest however only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Club J After School Care
At Club J After School Care we grow caring, curious, confident, and resilient thinkers. Club J is a place where children feel valued, respected and heard; a place that encourages problem-solving skills, creativity and team-work; a place where the children’s interests guide the programming. Our staff team creates meaningful relationships with the children and families, while keeping an overview of the ‘big picture’ at all times.
We are looking for experienced, highly motivated and reliable individuals for part-time positions to join our team! Our program includes school pick-ups, presenting engaging & thoughtful activities, and thriving in our bustling afternoon environment.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children in a group setting ie: Camp leader, volunteer work in child and family organizations
- Responsible Adult Certificate
- Valid Criminal Record Check upon employment
- Valid Child Care First Aid Certificate with CPR
- Minimum 19 years old
- Planning, organizational and communication skills within a team environment
- Able to multitask and manage time well
- Current favourable references
- ECE certificate (an asset)
- Jewish background not required
Start date/End date: August 23, 2021 – June 30, 2022
Position details: Monday – Friday: 1:30pm – 6:00pm (Occasional longer shifts for Pro-D Days)
Possible opportunities to:
- continue in the following school year
- work in seasonal day camps
- work Pro-D days
Contract length: 10 months
Part-time hours: 20-22 per week
Interested and qualified applicants who are able to commit for the year will be contacted for an interview.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered Massage Therapist
The Fitness and Wellness department of the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver is looking for a Registered Massage Therapist.
The individual who fills this role will be given exclusive access to JCC members and will work alongside Kinesiologists and Personal Trainers who refer their clients. There is currently a high demand from members for this service, and we expect whoever enters this role to become busy quite quickly.
You can earn $58.80-$80.50 per hour!
(Percentage split or open to discuss room rental)
The massage room is located within a multi-complex facility with members who join to participate in various programs. This will provide large interdepartmental referral opportunities.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide quality massage therapy services and outstanding customer service
- Promote the Wellness Centre at the JCC
- Registered Massage Therapist with a recognized institution
- First Aid/CPR (preferred)
Experience & abilities:
This opportunity is ideal for an established RMT looking for a new location, or a motivated RMT looking to expand their practice.
What’s in it for you?
- We have a friendly work environment of Personal Trainers and Kinesiologists to grow your business in,
- Mindbody booking system,
- Full receptionist who handles billing,
- Laundry services,
- Flexible scheduling,
- Personal training and membership discounts for you.
Position Start Date: Immediately
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the JCC Personal Training Supervisor email@example.com
Subject line: registered massage therapist.
Thank you for your submission.
Kinesiologist / Personal Trainer
The Jewish Community Centre (JCC) is a vibrant and multi-cultural facility that features a modern Fitness and Wellness department. We offer a supportive environment for you to build your client base. Our members refer to the JCC as their second home and have embraced Fitness, Personal training, nutrition and massage as part of a holistic lifestyle. We are currently looking for experienced Personal Trainers who enjoy working in a community environment and have the following skills; and qualifications. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply
- Ability to work with a wide variety of clients
- Able to demonstrate a high level of customer service
- Energetic and enthusiastic, with a desire to build a client base
- BCRPA Personal Training Registration (or equivalent)
- Current First Aid and CPR
- Additional certifications/registrations an asset
Experience & abilities:
- Group classes and small group training experience an asset
- Experience in a customer service related industry
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Creative and critical thinking
- A minimum of 20 hours per week availability for personal training sessions.
- Additional Fitness Centre shift hours may be offered
Position Start Date: ASAP
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Personal Trainer Position
Thank you for your submission, however only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver, 950 W. 41st Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 2N7; Phone: 604.257.5111